Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Verge of Disappointment

After that dreaded paper finally finished around 3-ish today, I got the urge to bake a cake. It was a prune cake, spiced, with a lovely caramel glaze on top. As the cake baked the house started to smell a-m-a-z-i-n-g. So I started to make that caramel topping for the cake.

To my dismay, as I was making the topping, I used a small saucepan.

A small saucepan.

Apparently I forgot rule number 2 of cooking: If in doubt, use a bigger saucepan.

When the sugar mixture started boiling over that small saucepan and smelling like burnt marshmallows I suddenly remembered that rule....and was on the verge of total disappointment.

Alas, a larger saucepan was within reach to dump the contents of the small saucepan in. Not all was lost...there was enough topping left for the cake.

Rule number one is: if you think your finger is in the way of the knife, it probably is.

No comments: